Have you asked yourself this question? what’s your dream job? To be honest I am not sure if I can answer this question. My dream job is really a list of things I am actually doing presently and other things I wish I could do as well.
I am curious to know what your dream job is so I created a page where you can answer this question:
So tell me, what is your dream job?
After collecting enough answers I’ll be sending the aggregated results to the email address you use when answering the question in this page.
Summer is already here and internship opportunities out there still abound. There are many job sites listing opportunities as well as job fair and hiring events organized by large size companies. Yet, internships and regular job opportunities at startup companies are difficult to find. There are smaller events such as meetups where students and startups can find each other and maybe start a relationship. These type of events might work, but they are hard to scale and don’t reach as many people as an online marketplace can. Therefore, after doing some research and testing the idea using a Google form, I decided to write some code and deploy this website. It is a new marketplace for interns and startups. Continue reading A new marketplace for Interns and Startups
There are some of us who are very optimistic about the future, and some of us who aren’t. The difference is clear – pessimistic people believe the best days are a thing of the past and anything new is not as good as it was. Optimistic people see the future as an opportunity to be and to do better, even if every day that passes means we are one day closer to the end.
Are you optimistic or pessimistic? Being optimistic about the future means you don’t only adapt to change but you embrace it. You believe there is always a chance to make it better. It also means you are confident (or naive) enough to think you and the people around you are capable of improving the present to live an improved future. Continue reading Optimistic for tomorrow
First of all, stop being a people pleaser. When you try to please people around you, it makes it hard to try experiments, to take risks, and to embrace change.
Failing isn’t popular, and it is scary for many people. Some people are OK with failing fewer times, as if there is a right number of times to fail. The more you fail the more you learn. If you aren’t failing often, you aren’t taking enough risks and not trying enough experiments.
Fear is the biggest blocker of change. It is the main reason people don’t experiment enough. There is fear of failing and being ridiculed. We have been thought all of our lives that failing is what irresponsible people do. By experimenting and embracing failure, you are already ahead of most people. After enough failures you’ll learn what most people don’t and eventually, you’ll find the successes that most people won’t.
Experiment, fail, and do it all with purpose. The best way to experiment is when you do it with purpose and when you measure the results. An experiment cannot be successful if you fail and then ignore what didn’t work. A successful experiment has to prove something, then you find out what worked and what didn’t and start again.
Experiment, connect, disturb, inspire, and keep learning. That’s the only way you can truly learn and spread your ideas.
What is leadership? what does it mean to be a good leader? It doesn’t mean you get to boss people around. It doesn’t mean that you make all the decisions. It also doesn’t mean that you are the person with all the answers. Wit share some characteristics of great leaders as I see them around me and the community.
A good leader is humble, it is an enabler, a good listener, an organizer, a connector and a coach. Leaders are not experts. They get experts together and enable them to apply their expertise. Leaders don’t tell people what to do, instead they listen and ask many questions.
If you want to be a leader you need to be ready to check your ego at the door and be humble. You also need to be able to make informed decisions and empower people to do the same. You don’t have to be the smarter person in the room, you just need to be able to identify those who are. Continue reading Characteristics of Leaders
- Be curious
- You want to learn about photography, coding, or how to play an instrument. You are curious about something and therefore you want to learn it. Being curious is indispensable to learn anything. If you force yourself to learn something or you feel pressured to do it, you’ll have a hard time learning. Remember school…?
- Start doing
- Start doing. Don’t worry about not having the right item or place to start doing and learn. For example, if you want to learn about photography and don’t have a good camera, then start with your phone. If you want to learn to play guitar start with a cheap guitar, don’t convince yourself you need to have the right equipment to make it happen. Start doing something rather than waiting for the right moment or equipment to do it.
- Stay motivated
- After you start doing and become better at it, it might be time for you to get some equipment, like a better camera for example. Once you start seeing some results and you outgrow your initial setup, place or equipment, then it isn’t a bad idea to invest a little more on it. Keep yourself inspired and don’t stop doing.
Continue reading 3 Key steps to learn anything
I have always been surprised by the amount of people who need each other but can’t see a way to find each other. This is the problem that online marketplaces try to resolve, some do it good and some others fail to work because they don’t gain the attraction of both suppliers and customers.
With this post, I would like to introduce you to a new marketplace that attempts to connect people looking for internships at local Startups and Small businesses and Startups looking for Interns.
Why is this needed?
I was looking around and noticed that while most large corporations have many ways to reach out to students or anyone else looking for internships – Small Business and Startups don’t have that same advantage or resources. This affects both the Startups and people looking for internships with interesting Startups or Small Businesses. Continue reading Startup Interns
Windows 10 is packed with lots of new and old features such as the beloved Start menu. One of my personal favorites is the new Command Prompt and its new features. For years, a lot of us have suffered the limitations of the command prompt such as not able to resize the window or simply paste data using Ctrl+V. These annoyances are now part of the past, and if you want to enjoy these new features too, you’ll need to follow the steps below.
Enable New Command Prompt
If you have upgraded to Windows 10 and you use the Command Prompt, make sure you follow these steps to enable the new Command Prompt features: Continue reading How to enable the new Command Prompt features on Windows 10
Writing is not easy and there is always room for improvement. Attracting an audience is also hard and it takes time. Here are some of the things that have worked for me in the past few years, I hope they can be useful for you too.
- Focus on longform articles. People are starting to get overwhelmed with the shortform content abundant in social media. Finding well-written long-form articles is becoming a rarity and so it is becoming scarce and thus valuable.
- Use tools to improve your writing. Applications like the Hemingway Editor can help your writing to be more readable. Grammar and spell-checking only go so far, you want your posts to be easy to read and understand.
- Write about topics that can stand the test of time. Your posts should be relevant today and 5 years from now. Avoid writing about the hot/popular topics of the day. Also, if your blog platform and/or theme allows it, remove the date from your posts and URLs.
- Write for you and not an audience. If what you write is good for you, it will be for other people. This is also a great way to get over writer’s block. Most of my blog posts are a way for me to learn and remember what I’ve learned. Reading and taking notes about specific items you find interesting can also give you an abundant source of things to write about.
- Take part in popular blogs and websites by adding smart comments and points of view. Make sure your blog address is part of your profile. People do notice when someone has smart things to say or unique point of views. And, they’ll want to know more about you and your own writing as well.
Hope this is useful to you. If you like this article please subscribe to my newsletter and share it with your friends.
There are many to-do lists out there describing what you should do to be more productive. There are many techniques you can follow and tools you can use to be more productive. Yet, the easiest way to gain focus and get things done is to avoid certain things. Below is a list of things you should stop doing that will help you be more productive.
Sometimes is hard to follow to-do lists, too much to do! but not-to-do lists are usually smaller and easier to follow. It allows you to identify bad habits and then spend more time doing productive things. Continue reading Identify Bad Habits and Create Not-To-Do Lists